How to keep friendly neighbours
In houses or flats, sound proofing measures are often insufficient.
Neighbourhood noise is the biggest problem.
- All over Europe, a significant portion of the population complains about noise from neighbours.
- Noise can negatively affect human well being and health:
- Excessive noise levels can affect mental concentration and become an obstacle to normal activity. At extreme levels, they generate pain and loss of hearing.
- Of all interior noise, sound spill from shared floors is seen as the most annoying.
- The choice of the “right” floor covering can make a crucial contribution to sound proofing.
- It’s not without reason that cars, trains and planes have carpet for better sound insulation.
- Carpet absorbs more sound from neighbours than any hard flooring.
- Reverberation time is half that of hard flooring.
- With carpet, impact noise is reduced by 25 to 34 dB compared to only 1 to 6 dB with laminate. This makes the difference between noise and tranquillity.